Friday, September 22, 2017

Uh Huh - Julia Michaels


I just heard this on the radio last night, so I totally love it. Will probably hate it in a week when they overplay it, though.


I like how it starts off all acoustic and then brings in this dirty beat and keys. And of course the strange "UH HUH" vocal slide thing. I can see how it could be annoying, but I think it's fantastic. At the end there's so much going on, it sounds exactly like it should to me, just all over the place fun emotion.

What I love most is the lyrics. As a fledgling songwriter/sometimes poet, one of my biggest peeves is wanting to write about a feeling or situation and just not being able to find the right words. This is one of those "ah ha!" songs where I feel a mix of instant gratification for knowing it exists...and also being deeply shamed someone else wrote it first. Mostly I'm just glad she made this feeling I've been feeling into a song. Isn't that what music is for?

Plus, Julia Michaels is apparently an Iowa girl...so, props!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?