Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead

Okay, easily one of the most popular songs I've ever posted, but still an incredibly awesome song. This song came on Pandora yesterday and instantly struck a chord with me. I know I've heard it before, as with most Radiohead songs (b/c they are wildly popular AND awesome) but I've never really listened to the lyrics. Mostly I would have to say because Thom Yorke sings the thing almost unintelligibly, but that's besides the point. My point being that the lyrics said almost exactly what I was feeling at the time, and that's always a pretty miraculous event to me. One of my favorite things, you could say.

I think a comment on Songmeanings.net really summed my own interpretation of the song best: "Trying to make that person happy by being fake. It wears you out. Somehow though you keep hanging on for a long time because he or she tastes and looks like the real thing....you think if this relationship ends you might blow through the ceiling; you can't help the feelings you still have for the person...but the relationship wears you out and you are living on borrowed time as you know in the long run it could never work...it's fake and plastic."
Read more at http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/573/#wEBIijgv5rIwLzAL.99

Which is mostly why I turn so many guys down that ask me out. What they see isn't necessarily what is the real thing. They see a side of me that is appealing, but it's not the whole thing. It's not the real thing. And it wears me out. It even inspired me to write a poem...that must be forgiven for not being as great as Fake Plastic Trees. I am no Thom Yorke:(


*If I could be who you wanted all the time*

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?